Statues of Constantine and secular buildings associated with him
Constantine's first basilica, built between 314 and 318, and the Mater et Caput of all Christian churches.
Constantine built the church of SS Marcellino e Pietro above the catacomb where these Diocletian martyrs were buried. Only the exterior walls survive, together with the mausoleum of Constantine's mother Helena, added on her death in 329.
The best preserved of the ambulatory basilicas built by Constantine on the sites of martyrs' tombs outside the city. It probably dates from about 330.
The largest known ambulatory basilica from this period, this church, of which only the outer walls survive, was founded by his daughter Constantina, probably between 337 and 351.
Constantina's mausoleum was added to her foundation, Sant'Agnese, when she died in 354. Circular in plan, it had been converted to a church by the 9th century.
No trace remains of Constantine's basilica, built on the site of St Lawrence's tomb on the Campo Verano. The present church is a combination of two, built end-to-end in 579 and 1216
The shrine of St Peter and the goal of the pilgrim.
Constantine built a small memorial church on the site of the Apostle's tomb, apparently orientated in the opposite direction. A larger church was built about 375, and later enlarged to become one of the largest and most beautiful in Rome, only to be completely destroyed by fire in 1823. The present building follows the ground plan of its predecesor.
After the Lateran, the only church built by Constantine within the city walls, and the only one to be built into an existing building - a hall in the palace of his mother Helena, who had discovered the True Cross in Jerusalem.