The first church to be installed in a previously secular building in the heart of imperial Rome. Overlooking the Forum, it was founded in 527.
The 2nd church to be installed (about 530) in an abandoned building on the Roman Forum. It was buried in an earthquake in 840, rediscovered in 1702, and excavated about 1900. It is currently closed for restoration and conservattion work.
On the site of the Forum of Nerva, this church was probably installed in the hall of a Roman house during the 6th century.
Known up to the 9th century as San Lorenzo in Formoso; believed to be the site of the martyrdom of St Lawrence.